Monday, January 20, 2014

POST 1

Five things that interest me that are potential argument topics are, The weather, apparel, music, instagram pictures and the true meaning behind love.

  • The weather is a big argument because where some people know what it is like to be in a cold environment others aren't, so when it was mid-October and people that I am friends with were wearing coats and looking at me funny made me wonder why they thought that it was cold to the point they needed a heavy coat on for them to get to their destination. Yes I am from the north and i am use to the cold so when I say I hate the cold or oh my god I'm ready for summer its because the cold month is something my body can never get use to no matter how long I have lived in a place where it has WINTERS!!!
  • apparel in today's world interest me because so many people want you to dress to impress where its never really a big deal as long as you are covering your body. When people see that I am a more causal dresser they assume that I am homosexual which is not true, I just rather wear clothes that are comfortable to me and something I like wearing. It interest me because fashion is become the biggest factor in judging other people. We don't take in to consideration if this person was or an athlete, if they don't like dressing up or if its just something that makes them wear those clothes for a certain period of time.
  • Music is a very argumentative topic because of the different genres and the lyrics true meaning that people no longer no what real music is. Older people feel that rap has corrupted are kids into these gangster, criminals who talk about sex and money and aren't educated enough to help keep kids in school. It interest me because music is suppose to tell a story and write a picture though sounds and rhythm but we can no longer relate when the music has little to know meaning.
  • Instagram is a social media network where people post pictures of pretty much any and everything. The argument is that some people pictures don't match their personal appearance; filters hide the truth and are lies told on the internet all for a couple of likes. It interest me because photos have been taking to a whole new level, people are praising celebrities that have no clue who they are and could careless about them. Instagram isn't like twitter and Facebook is it giving the viewers a look of what you are and things you like.
  • Meaning behind love. The argument is that love is something between two people that you care for deeply, so if that is the case why is it that we love more than one person and think that it is okay. My opinion because we don't know the true meaning behind love we can't show it or give it because we are afraid that someone will abuse are love for them. It interest me because as a freshman in college you are looking for someone to share my life with but first I must know what love really is.

1 comment:

  1. Chase, you raise some really interesting points in your observations. There is a wide range here, but it seems to me like you are starting to dig deeply behind some of the things and categorizations that we all take to be accepted every single day. I think this is exactly the kind of work that will help to produce a fascinating and different topic to work with over the course of the semester.

    I especially like where you are starting to go with the Instagram argument--you're already beginning to do rhetorical analysis, which is a large part of our work this semester. Playing devil's advocate, I wonder if photos or text can be considered to hide the truth more, and how can we evaluate these different social media types. Is one better than the other? Or would real life just be better? How might we hide the truth in real life?

    ReplyDelete