Thursday, January 30, 2014

Reflections
I would first like to say that being recorded help me pin point a lot of my flaws in public speeches so I am happy to have been recorded so that I can see what I as the speaker liked about the speech I gave and where I should practice to get better at speaking in public. So thank you for recording the class speech without warning I think I would have hyperventilated knowing I was being recorded.
  From hearing my speech I picked up on a few errors that I tend to make when speaking about a topic. I freeze up or get tongue twisted because I want the audience to see my passion for the topic and know that I did a lot of research on the topic and have a clear idea what the issue or problem is at hand. When this happens it gets harder for me to talk because now I have the class looking at me, waiting to hear me tell them why I am standing up wasting their time. I had some moments when I stutter because I was getting excited about how the audience was enjoying and interacting to what I was saying.
I need to remember to take a deep breath count to three and give it my all even if it means looking like a fool. I am more focused on the wrongs in the speech because things I’m good at doesn’t need work. If I can get the viewers’ attention from the start it will be smoother for me to relax and feel comfortable talking about a topic even if it is something that I can talk about for hours. I must conquer my fear of public speaking.
In all I think that I am getting better and better every time I speak in front of a class. I got the audience’s attention and they were interested in my topic so that’s all that matters and I am happy to know I am not being judged for not being a fluent speaker.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection, Chase. I know it is tough to watch the recording, but in the long run I think it helps--I'm glad I didn't cause you to hyperventilate and I hope it won't if we continue to do exercises like this in the future! Also, know that we are hardest on ourselves when we view these things. Most of the time, no one will notice that you tripped over some words…especially as it is completely natural for us to do this. We are our own harshest judges. We know how things "were supposed to go", but the audience doesn't. The audience doesn't know when we're "messing up"--most of the time, they just see that passion come through, which you have a lot of. So keep forging ahead against your fear of public speaking--you're doing a nice job so far!

    ReplyDelete